07 May 2012

Over-developed Attempts with TC-301

I've made my first attempts with the TC-301.  The results are a bit over-developed, but as a start it's probably not too bad:

400 (800) mm f/5.6 @ f/8(16), 1/100s, ISO 200



The contrast enhancements are a bit much, but the quality isn't nearly as poor as I was expecting it to be, especially considering the super-low shutter speed.  On the d7000, this lens + TC combination is an equivalent 1200mm, and I was afraid that the mirror banging around in there would cause some jitter.  I'm still having a hard time developing the image to achieve maximum acuity at 100%, but in the shrunken versions it's not too bad.

One of the difficulties with shooting with a banged-up lens is that I can focus past infinity.  Because the lens is so touchy at that focal length, you're pretty well out of luck if you mess things up.  Zooming in on the live view seems like a great idea...until you actually try it, and you find that everything is jumping everywhere when you breathe on the assembly funny.

The tripod I'm using is a $25 special without any real stabilization or solid counter weights to keep the camera in check.  Even so, it was possible to get a pretty decent shot of this.  I'll probably order a solar filter to see if I can get a good shot of the transit of Venus in June.

This is the "not-quite" supermoon, since the weather during perigee did not cooperate:  it was raining when the moon was at its maximum size.

No comments:

Post a Comment