07 April 2011

Another View of Polaris

I meant to post this quite some time ago, but as it happens, my schedule and mind aren't always conducive:

This was my second effort at playing with the intervalometer. This time I didn't shoot RAW because of how long it took to do the batch conversion (nearly 8 hours on my netbook; and yes, I know I shouldn't use a netbook for that purpose).

This time it was the 50mm f/1.8 at f/3.5, ISO 1250, 15-second exposures. White balance was set at 3030K in camera to provide bluer affect and mitigate some of the warming tones from light pollution. One picture taken every 30s from midnight to 5 AM.

Again, I kept Polaris in view, but this time shifted down slightly. The more limited field of view is less satisfying than the wider angle, although the detail is sharper. I'll probably try another using the 28mm f/3.5 at 3.5 to see if it is any good.


I haven't had much time since then to work with the intervalometer, but I'm curious to see how a smaller field of view might work with a longer lens like the 70–300 VRII.

No comments:

Post a Comment